Railways of Hidden Europe
Out of Berlin comes a travel magazine, Hidden Europe, devoted to the people and places that make Europe special. It covers the out of the way places in Europe that other magazines seldom reach. Thoughtful, insightful and a joy to read. Published every two months. It is edited by Nicky Gardner and Susanne Kries.
There have been 35 issues so far and for those interested in the railways of Europe there is very often articles relating to travel by train.
- Switzerland by train: Zürich to Lausanne (Issue 34 - Summer 2011)
- Europe by Rail: Balkan images (Issue 33 - Spring 2011)
- Southbound: Europe's car trains (Issue 31 - Summer 2010)
- Europe's railways: public or private assets (Issue 30 - Spring 2010)
- Hungarian rhapsody: by train from Berlin to Budapest (Issue 29 - Winter 2009)
- Berlin connections: the Moscow to Paris express (Issue 27 - July 2009)
- Rail fares: a first class surprise (Issue 24 - January 2009)
- All change: 2009 rail schedules (Issue 23 - November 2008)
- Spring, storks and trains: a visit to Brcko (Bosnia) (Issue 20 - May 2008)
- Slow travel: Europe by Train (Issue 18 - January 2008)
- Night train to Narvik (Issue 15 - July 2007)
- Train travel: exploring some of Europe’s most interesting night trains (Issue 12 - January 2007)
- Trains stop only on request: Berney Arms (Issue 11 - November 2006)
- Rail travel in Kosovo: then and now (Issue 8 - May 2006)
- A railway journey through Teschen, one-time Austrian Silesia (Issue 7 - March 2006)
- From Asia to Europe: the train from Kazakhstan to Berlin (Issue 6 - January 2006)
- Lost links - the demise of Europe's night trains (Issue 3 - July 2005)
- On board Europe's Orient Express, Razvan cannot wait to get home to Romania (Issue 2 - May 2005) The full article can be downloaded as a PDF from the Hidden Europe website.
- Slow train through Bohemia (Issue 1 - March 2005)
At the Hidden Europe website you can download a PDF file which contains a full index of all the articles published. You can also sign up for the hidden europe e-brief which is published and distributed free of charge about thrice monthly.
This page was added on 08 February 2009. Updated on 25 February 2012.