The Last European Rail Timetable?
After 140 years of publication Thomas Cook has ceased publication of the European Rail Timetable. Published every month it provided a guide to train and ferry schedules throughout Europe. The August 2013 edition will be the last.
Now re-published from March 2014!
The European Rail Timetable gives timetables for EuroStar, sleeper trains, inter-city and many local lines throughout Europe. The book has a section for each country and maps which show the relevant rail routes. There are also maps showing the locations of the main railway stations in major European cities
Every month the European Rail Timetable provides timetables for an area of the world outside Europe. In August 2013 the book gives the principal rail services for South East Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Thomas Cook used to publish an Overseas Rail Timetable but this ceased publication with the November/December 2010 edition.
What of the future for European rail travellers? Hidden Europe reports that the compilers of the European Rail Timetable, including Brendan Fox the editor for the last 28 years, are hoping to set up a company which will continue to publish it in some form. Let's hope they are successful. Regular and armchair travellers will both be lost without it.
The August 2013 European Rail timetable was previously available from branches of Thomas Cook in the UK for £14.99.
European Rail Timetable - March 2014
A new company European Rail Timetable Limited has been setup to continue the publication of the European Rail Timetable.
The company has been formed by former members of the Thomas Cook Editorial team. The Editor-in-chief for the new timetable is John Potter.
Latest edition now available for purchase.
Thomas Cook announced that it had transferred the rights to the timetable to this new company in the autumn of 2013.
- The InterRail bible returns: European Rail Timetable is back in print, The Guardian, 10 March 2014
- Back on schedule: Europe's InterRail timetable is re-born, BBC, 7 March 2014
- European Rail Timetable to be re-launched in February, International Railway Journal, 1 November 2013
- New publisher for European Rail Timetable: Cook’s Continental gets a new lease of life, Europe by Rail, 1 November 2013
- Thomas Cook's European Rail timetable reaches end of the line, The Independent (UK), 1 July 2013
- Press release from Thomas Cook: European Rail Timetable and Guidebooks, Europe by Rail, 1 July 2013
- Cook’s train hits the buffers, Europe by Rail, 30 June 2013
- Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable, Seat61.com
This page was added on 17 August 2013. Updated on 27 April 2014.